Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"A Spiritual Battle" - May 17, 2011

Well, today started out great!  Everyone (Gracie- 4, Ryan - 3, Olivia- 16 months) was in great spirits.  Ryan woke up at a decent hour with all his clothes on!!  A rarity lately!  :)  The afternoon changed, however.  I was trying to get Ryan to pee on the toilet today since he was refusing to keep his diaper on.  He was doing exceptionally well in his underwear.  But melt-down occurred when I tried to get him on the toilet before lunch.  He refused to the point of tantrum.  As I was trying to put his underwear back on he was kicking and screaming.  He wanted to be completely naked.  I tried to get him to come to the table, but he was refusing the whole time.  The only way I could calm him down was to show him a "Thomas" movie.  After he knew we were going to watch a movie, he let me dress him and he ate some of his lunch.  I think visual things help him to calm down and focus.
The rest of the day was great!  I think when Ryan gets frustrated about something, I need to learn to step back from the situation and let him regain focus again.  He is such a good little boy.  We are really beginning to speak the truth over him.  Above everything, I want him to know we're NOT ashamed of him or autism.  It doesn't define who he is in the Lord.  I'm even praying that we could all use this for ministry opportunities!  God knows exactly what He is doing and He doesn't make mistakes!!!  Thank you, Jesus!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment