Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"Baby Moon!!" - May 20-23, 2011

So, this past weekend Ben and I were given a WONDERFUL gift from Ben's parents to take a Baby Moon!!  For those of you who don't know, a Baby Moon is like a honeymoon except it's right before a baby is born instead of right after the wedding ceremony!  It's like the last time you and your spouse can get away before life gets a little more hectic!!  :)

Back to the story...
We were able to travel to Illinois and drop the kids off with "Mawmaw and Pawpaw" and get a quick, but much-needed 24 hour period alone!!  It was super hard to leave, however.  I broke down right before we had to go because Ryan refused to eat or put clothes on...yet again!  It was a longer tantrum...probably because we were at a different place.  He also wasn't feeling the best all weekend.  He had a fever and diarrea, so needless to say, there was more going on than just not wanting to do something.  Regardless of the tantrum and tears (on my part), Ben and I made ourselves leave.  And to be honest, it was probably the BEST thing we could have done.  We were able to just be together with no distractions and focus on each other, which in turn helps us focus better on our children!  When we have time together, our communication is better, which helps in our parenting!  You really forget how your marriage was before children until they aren't with you!!  All around, it was a wonderful time away.  Beth (Ben's mom) gave us updates during the day and made sure we knew Ryan was doing really well.  Ben and I have decided to make it a priority to have time for each other as we go through this season.  It's amazing how life just gets in the way and you forget to keep each other a priority!  So thankful to Beth and Mark for watching the kiddos for us while we were gone!  :)

After our 24 hours away, we came back to the grandparent's house and Beth had just read a devotional in one of her books the day before that really applied to our situation.  It was a summary of a bunch of different scriptures that were all about being wonderfully made and that God doesn't make any mistakes.  She replaced all the "I's" and "me's" to Ryan, so this is how it read:

"I give thanks to You, O Lord, and I stand in awe of You, for Ryan is wonderfully made.  Marvelous are Your works!  Thank You that You uniquely designed and created Ryan with the same care and precision You used in creating the universe...that you formed Ryan in love exactly to your specifications...that You embroidered Ryan with great skill in Nicole's womb.  I am grateful that Ryan's looks, Ryan's abilities, and Ryan's personality are lik a special picture frame in which You can portray Your grace and beauty, Your love, Your strength, Your faithfulness, to the praise of Your glory.  I rejoice that You have gifted Ryan for the special purposes You have in mind for Ryan's life.  I thank You for Your loving wisdom in allowing the things that will influence Ryan's life --the things that will prepare Ryan's heart to respond to You and live for Your glory.  It's wonderful to know that You are not the least bit dissastisfied with Ryan's inborn talents, intelligence, aptitudes, appearance, and personality, for Your hands have made and fashioned him.  Ryan is one of Your original masterpieces!  I worship and bow down; I kneel before You, my Maker"...and so will Ryan!  (Psalm 139:13-16, Ephesians 1:6, Romans 12:3-6, Psalm 119:67, 71, Psalm 119:73, Psalm 95:6)

2 comments:

  1. Hey chick pea,
    I didn't know about Ryan. I have a friend who has one child with autism and one with aspergers. She will know of different support groups, online references. Let me know if you'd like me to contact her.
    Love you!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Nicole I was in tears reading this. You and Ben are such wonderful parents and people. Your children are so blessed to have you guys. I am very sorry to hear about Ryan's diagnosis with autism but God knows exactly what he is doing and he has a purpose for it all. I know you both know that and take comfort in it. David and I are here for all of you if you ever need anything. I mean that with my whole heart.

    Love,
    Ashley Short

    ReplyDelete